Thursday 21 July 2011

Sprint 16 on its way


Both on its way and well underway.

I've 99% fixed the crash introduced in 15. It was memory leak, schoolboy error I know... Actually it was two memory leaks. One caused by me relying on the garbage collection sweep working, and the other I'm not so sure about. A boost::shared_ptr<> looks like the only reference to my object and that reference is cleared... but the dtor isn't called. In this instance I could 'just simply' not use a shared_ptr and the delete operator would do fine - but I want to get to the bottom of it.

As for the GC... Well, I don't have any GC which kind of explains why it failed. That was an easy fix.

Second to this, building between baseplates is in progress. I can safely add/remove bricks that span two or more baseplates. I think. They don't stream in and out of memory very cleanly, and phantom invisible or intangible bricks are sometimes the result as you move through the world.
However, the fix is to cleanly stitch together the two baseplates - accounting for the bricks that span - and all should be well.

Lastly, aside from a couple of minor points, the Jetpack is getting a little tweak based on some use and feedback. Its getting a cruise-control so you can hover at a constant height. I went through all sorts of physics models for it, and whether or not it should have some sort of limited fuel, propellant etc.. But right now its just going to be pretty much free, unrestricted flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment