Thursday 11 August 2011

Vertex Shader. Yeaj!


And as if by magic, the answer game to me!
Just the act of making a tasty tasty coffee was enough to stimulate the little grey cells. I had a play with vertex and fragment shaders recently but I was only really having a play in the 'play for fun' rather than nerdcore critical-path programming.

One of the shaders I wanted to write was to make my blocks look a little more like physical LEGO bricks. The LEGO company make the plastic construction toy that has been my inspiration and physical building materials have different properties to intangible polygons.

Simulating the look of a real world item with computer graphics is always a fungineering task, but I hit upon the technique I'm going to use to get that extra va va voom out of my graphics pipeline using a vertex shader in the base render pass instead of during post-process or using a second render pass and additional VBO set.

More news as it breaks!

p.s. You can support the LEGO company by buying sets, bricks, toys or apparel from their online or storefront retail outlets. I highly recommend basically everything they sell.

1 comment:

  1. Er yeah. So out of the two shaders, one worked and one doesn't.
    BUT I can get exactly the effect I think I want with a second render pass and fragment shader combo so I'm probably going with that.
    Unless what I think I want is wrong, which is quite possible.

    ReplyDelete