Sunday 21 July 2013

This kinda worked


Showing off the detail, this kinda came together. There are still a few imperfections in the geometry that I'm going to resolve manually at a later date but what I've got is suitable for now.


Its 1AM and the mesh is in a usable state for animation, which is a good place to finish the weekends work.

The next task is to add a Walk/Run controller to the Input and Camera stacks, and tie them to the minifig locomotion.  Once its moving in-game then its time to write an animation library. I think the first pass will be FK bones with a single bone-per-vertex, CPU skinned.
This will be my reference animator and then I'll reproduce it with GPU skinning and switch up if the video hardware is capable.

I'm considering rigging for two-bones-per-vertex skinning and pre-multipling the inverse T matrix during mesh cooking, but I think that's going too far for now. I'll only need one bone per vertex for a long time yet and will be able to get the animation fidelity I'm after.

With beauty shots like this, it becomes apparent how poor the specular highlights are on my reference shader, so a new plastic shader is in the immediate future too.


No comments:

Post a Comment